Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Use I Statements

Often times it is easier for me to become detached if I use the royal "we" or refer to my experience at the group level, opposed to the individual. I don't have to be responsible then, and I won't feel bad for hurting someone's feelings. I take ownership in that, and am willing to work on it.

On the other hand, I don't like it when other people speak up for me. I prefer to speak on my own. My coworker gave me interesting feedback when she was listening to my account of what Bermuda was like. I apparently had the power on my small team and the competence, but for whatever reason my teammates wanted to fight authority and power; but they didn't have the competence for back it up.

This is partly why instead of the body of work being closed for Bermuda, my team is writing recommendations and a plan for them now... two things my team fought me on when I recommended them earlier. The phrase of "I told you so" played out for me again. And she used the royal "we" to excuse why the directions were not followed. She needs to make I statements and say why she didn't want to follow directions. I never want to work in that team of people again. They are trying to suck me into a conference call this evening, but I am being very directive about the time I have available. I don't want to go through this painful experience again with them.

I woke up in the middle of the night with a lot swimming around in my mind and energy traveling up and down my limbs. I got out of bed and decided to dance in place in order to burn some of the energy. It was great fun! One can only imagine what I looked like, dancing in the dark, to no music, at 3am... hehe

No comments: