Friday, January 23, 2009

is it a full moon?

What a hell of a week! I don't even know where to begin, but mostly my Friday left me reeling. I did an information gathering meeting which turned into a huge employee relations nightmare. There was so much back-stabbing and retaliation that the manager was telling me about, I didn't know what to do! I spoke with HR and things are being investigated, but it was nuts! I called my director later in the day and told her, and she nearly fell on the floor.

After that meeting, which went on for almost 2 hours, I ran into an intervention with my client's IS department. They are having a huge communication issue, and I spent most of the afternoon flip charting. I had to run out of that meeting at 2pm, and then go into a meeting with a director and AVP, plus their director of HR to share my observations from one of their offices. They asked, "can we just fire them all and start over?!?!?!" I'll be in there for awhile doing intense work with them.

I'm in DC this weekend for school. It's been an interesting class so far, as our professor is really confrontational. He throws our questions back at us, and challenges where our thinking is coming from... which I like. I haven't been this intellectually stimulated since high school, and I'm really enjoying it. It just mentally drains me.

I have 2 classes to teach on Monday and Tuesday... and that should end the craziness for the rest of the week, before I start hitting roadshows through the month of February on the Employee Survey. I've decided that I am going to get drunk this coming weekend. It's not something I normally do, but I think it will be an interesting release.

No comments: