Monday, November 17, 2008

intelligent eyes

I had forgotten what it's like to hang out in downtown Baltimore at the local watering holes. Saturday, I met my friend Joel at Gecko's, and while waiting for him to arrive, I was approached. It was the typical, "I'm not trying to hit on you, I just thought you looked bored, so I'll chat." How I looked bored when I was engrossed in the football game, I'll never know. I mentioned that my friend was coming soon, and he seemed to be a little insulted. But, it wasn't a line, my friend was on his way in a cab to meet me.

After he sat down, I guess I gave him too much eye contact, because his first comment to me was that I have really intelligent eyes. I don't know what I was doing, or what my eyes were saying, but I can tell that he was startled by that. He asked me what I did for a living, and I told him. He proceeded to dump his entire story on me of when he used to own a car shop in New Mexico a few years ago. I guess my Active Listening skills paid off, because he kept interrupting himself to tell me how my eyes keep telling him how intelligent I am, and how I really "get him" and "understand him".

He then told me that he is willing to pay me to keep listening to him on a regular basis, because he really needs the help. Again, I really haven't said anything to him yet. I told him that I'm not qualified to help him, as I'm still in grad school, and wouldn't be able to assist. He kept commenting on my eyes, and then I think he got intimidated and embarrassed that he shared so much with a stranger. He excused himself from the conversation, and wandered down the bar to talk to other people.

Joel came in soon after, and we had a great time eating dinner, catching up, and then hanging out at the Club Charles. I always have fun with Joel, as he takes me places that I've never been before, and there's always interesting characters there! hehe :)

Friday night I got my haircut, and my hairstylist put a few extra layers in to give it va va voom! Yes, she actually wolf whistled. The other stylist started laughing, and asked if she was trying to give an impression of her boyfriend. At that point, Annie (my stylist) had to explain about her boyfriend. He apparently has Turrets, and his "thing" is that he beeps and whistles... especially when he gets excited. I felt horrible for laughing, but my mind jumped to all sorts of things on that note! hehe He apparently likes to "sneak up on her", and well, he can't! He'll stand behind her beeping and whistling, trying to be sneaky, and it just doesn't work! hehe So cute!

Yesterday I pre-bowled, got some shopping in and started knitting a pair of socks. I've never made socks before, so this is an adventure in itself!

No comments: