Monday, November 10, 2008

Welcome Back Amy!

WOW.

This weekend flew by and I have no idea where it went!

After class on Friday I had plans to have dinner with my buddy from the T-group I met. For those following along, my buddy ended up being the asshole I mentioned before, who can't see the world past his own nose. He appears to be going through a midlife crisis, and thinks I'm his therapist. The relationship is supposed to be supportive on both sides, so I'm interested in seeing where this heads during the next couple of meetings.

He's the type of person that gets very intense, lots of eye contact, and I felt that I was really connecting with him. Then he leaned back in his chair and told me he'd have his personal assistant put me on his schedule each week. Ummmm.... ass. He didn't even notice that I shut down right after that. But I did make him feel awkward when walking to the car, because I completely ignored him, and left him standing between our cars trying to figure out what to say next. If he wanted to be business like, then he was going to get business like from me. I think people need to put him back on his heels more often. The conversation was stimulating, as he's devoutly Catholic and is now dealing with the idea that his wife no longer loves him, he has a miserable marriage, hasn't had sex in over a year, and everyone tells him to get divorced, but that's against religious law. He's now dealing with the fact that he's having lustful thoughts about other women. Besides all of that, he has a superiority complex, a fixation on money and the things it can buy, and his public image. I'm really waiting for the real him to "show up" because I still believe that no one can possibly be as unaware as he is. It's all an act, his suit of armor to protect himself from something. Despite all of this, dinner was really yummy, and I had some great sangria!

On Saturday night, about 20 people went out to celebrate the November birthdays to a really neat Indian restaurant in DC. The food was slightly more spicy then what I'm used to, and made differently than what I normally see, but it was incredibly tasty! One of my classmates got drunk on caffeine and started telling me war stories. TOO FUNNY! (She was a Major in the army before retiring.)

Sunday I met a new friend after class for dinner, and had a really good time. I love conversation that really works, and feels natural. Hopefully we'll get to know each other better as the days come.

Class was intense. We studied most of the great psychology minds and started doing exercises to reflect inward to see what kind of crap we each carry around with us. FUN! But we did get to color and draw pictures for awhile while reviewing Freud, so that was entertaining!

I stayed at the Omni Shoreham, which is a very "old world lavish" hotel that holds a lot of the inauguration balls in DC. I had a view of the park, and since I registered for their loyalty program, I had free Internet, drinks in the morning, and a newspaper. I would suggest the hot chocolate each morning - it comes with it's own homemade marshmallows! YUM!

So.... I got back to work today... and boy has it been a whirlwind:

- Prepping for a manager's retreat tomorrow
- Permission to attend the MBTI certification
- Making reservations for that, even though they snuck me into the last available slot over the phone so I wouldn't miss out on the deeply discounted price
- Making priceline reservations for that
- Getting to use the laminiator in the office - FUN FUN!
- Rescheduling my gyn appointment to a better time in the month
- Supervising the AVP making cookie center pieces for the manager's meeting tomorrow
- Listening and advising on all of the drama because one of my coworkers had a woman show up to class slurring her words and being disruptive. (My boss ended up driving this woman home after speaking to employee health. She apparently changed her psychiatric medicine.)
- Emailing back and forth with my cohort about our trip to Bethel in April and where we are staying and who is flying out when...
- Doing my expense report
- Updating system documentation
- And now trying to figure out where to go get supplies for the icebreaker I'm doing tomorrow...

Plus I have to bowl tonight! Hopefully I can have an awesome showing after my 171 from last week!

Oh... and Msgr. Zorbach passed away this weekend, so I'll be going to the wake for that tomorrow night.

BUSY!

No comments: