Monday, March 16, 2009

Descriptions

This weekend was educational. In more ways than one. I've gotten a lot of crocheting done, and I think that's because I'm on Spring Break (smirk) and I haven't been going out much on the weekends. I think my weekends will pick up more once the weather breaks. Plus, I'm missing Sam - he was my go-out partner on the weekends.

Actually, I ran into him online, as he's still at home before heading out to sea in a few days. And he gave me some drunken sailor insight. My profile on okcupid sucks. He read through it, as I had changed a small piece, and said that he didn't want to be harsh, but my profile doesn't describe me at all. He said that when he began talking to me, he did it without any real interest, because my profile wasn't that great. But it was after a few minutes of conversation that he realized that the person in the profile, and the person he was talking to were completely different people - then he wanted to know everything about me and spend time with me.

So, now I'm stuck wondering how to encapsulate how I behave around people in describable words. I thought I was doing that, but apparently I wasn't. When I ask people, I normally get things like, "you're great!" "you're super nice!" "you're so funny!" But that doesn't really describe me, or anyone else very well ("well" - as in "clearly"). I think I'm more than just sounding the same way one would describe a puppy. I appreciate the sentiment, but it's not exactly working.

I was thinking over the weekend of ways to describe me, and Nice always comes up. But I don't think I'm nice - I would describe it as polite. There's a difference. If people really knew what I was thinking internally in various situations, then they wouldn't think I'm very nice. I just don't share it because it's not any of my business, and if people want to behave that way, it's up to them. And my opinion really doesn't matter - and I'm not saying that as a lack of confidence in myself. I'm saying that from a larger self-awareness piece that teaches me that the only opinion that actually matters is the person's own. That's just logic.

Anyway... I'm giving it more thought, as when I really think of myself I'm a ball of contradictions. But one has to be careful when writing self-descriptions, as it can easily give the wrong impression.

On a much happier note - I'm going to visit Sam in Austin in July for his birthday! We are going to be celebrating our birthdays together (he can't be in Baltimore for mine because of work) and he's already lining up places for us to go! He'll be on vacation that week, so it'll be a great time to enjoy together! Yay! I'm so excited!!!!

No comments: