Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Neat!

Neat! So now I have a new technology to play with, where I can just email a blog to be updated. I can just blog from my blackberry while I'm on the move!

I'm getting excited about my trip to Maine on Friday. I'm actually going for class, but we are staying in an awesome place! I'll share pictures when I get back. I don't want to give any crazy people who may follow my blog any ideas of where I'll be! hehe :)

I'm really frustrated this week, and no it isn't that time of the month. I'm constantly running into people who are not willing to see things in a different way, and are very aggressive in their resistance to change. My coworkers are having the same problem, and I'm not sure what could be causing it. The first step is understanding our involvement in the resistance, the second is their understanding of the change, and the third obviously their barriers to change. My coworker and I got into a great discussion today around what I call a cognitive shift.

Pardon me for being high-brow for a second, but I think my thinking is pretty sophisticated around self-awareness. I'm open and willing to discuss other ways of doing things, and willing to entertain the possibility of changing myself to do something another way. But how do you get people to that point. I'm thinking of a group of people who see work as a J.O.B. and not as an impactful career. We have a lot of those types in our front line workers. Heck, I sit in a building filled with them. How do I get them to try something different in their work, when they see no reason to change, or any reason to entertain a difference. And... see any conversation or workshop around a change as an interruption to their busy day, and not as a professional development opportunity. Who's fault is that?

I'm a firm believer in setting a safe environment where people can explore learning around something new, and I understand the importance of having a manager educate the employee around the importance of a change. But how do you get someone to be open?

You can't really... they will do what they are told to keep the J.O.B., but never really buy into something that they don't think of themselves. You can share the ROI, but it's really a shift to asking yourself the question, "what does the company need from me, in order for the company to be successful?" I don't think the J.O.B.ers would even think to ask that question.

More pondering needs to be done...

No comments: