Monday, August 18, 2008

ethics in OD

Yesterday at the gym I took my text book with me to read while riding the bike. And the chapter I read was about ethical issues in OD, which I had blogged earlier last week about not really knowing how I'll fit into the picture.

Well, now I have a true understanding of what they meant by it, and I'm going to have some problems. There are 4-5 ethical dilemmas that are mentioned in the text, but the main one that I can pinpoint now that my department is violating is Coercion.

OD fundamentally operates on the plane that everything is self-directed and internal. What I mean by that is that a change cannot happen unless people are willing and free to participate in that change. People have a choice.

However, currently, my department is not supporting that choice. An easy "for instance": we'll develop a new workshop/skill-set on a leadership competency. We'll go meet with a VP and share our work with them, just explaining what it is, and how it would be impacting to their organization. They turn around and make it mandatory that all 120 leaders in their organization are required to take the course - i.e. mandatory training. Which in turn, forfeits the employee's right of choice in participating in the change. Thus, violating an OD ethical code. Yet, we show up, bright-eyed and bushy tailed, and don't mention this to the VP. Actually, we consider it a "win" and that the importance of our work is getting out there, and people are finally seeing the value.

I'm interested in seeing how my professors will talk through this scenario, as this is common practice in the work place to make education mandatory. I could argue that the employee has a choice, they can comply with the decree or find a new job... but I don't think that's really what they are talking about in this instance, nor is that a fair assessment.

We also see this when a manager will complete a development plan for an employee and include workshops from our department on it. Depending on how successful a manager is in developing their employees and having open discussions with them, determines how the employee will show up to the workshop. We've had to contend with hostile educational environments that are created when employees don't want to be there, and they are being forced. Again, I can argue that because an employee is closed off to the change can make them, in essence, on the short list out the door... but if we are supposed to be creating an environment of choice as an OD professional, what should I ethically do?

I guess in my zeal for reading, I was trying to challenge myself physically, and increased the resistance on the bike. I didn't feel it at the time, but the back of my thighs now hurt so bad that I have trouble getting up from chairs. The bathroom is fun! I went back tonight to the gym, but didn't do nearly as long as a session. I wanted to work them out some more, as tomorrow is my weigh-in, but I'm still feeling the pain... my fingers are crossed! I will be sexy one day!

No comments: