Thursday, September 4, 2008

all of this order is driving me crazy...

My MBTI result shows that I am an ENFP. I've known this for a long time, as my department administers the assessment, but I never saw it so clearly today at work.

I have a huge project that I'm working on - the website - to get up by Sept 30. I had a "come to Jesus" meeting with the IS department on Tuesday, and I walked away with a lot of work, but it's what we wanted.

My "P" doesn't like plans or organization. I have a little bit of "J" in me, so I am capable of making lists, but I don't like it. I was asked to make an actionable list of everything that the team needs to do, and begin assigning due dates.

Like most things, I was aggressive with the dates, because I like to pad time into the schedule for Murphy's Law. If you haven't heard yet, Murphy's Law follows me around.

After completing and printing out the list, I had to remove it physically from my immediate area, as it was causing me to hyperventilate. There was just too much structure around me and my work, and I found myself paralyzed for a few moments. My team thought this was incredibly funny, but maybe that was because I started yelling at the page, as I was regulating it to the other side of my cube.

I normally keep everything in my head, like most 'Ps', and it wanders to the front of my brain when it's about due. Seeing everything on paper makes me feel hemmed in and confined.

But, I am ahead of schedule.... so if everyone else keeps trucking, then it should work!

1 comment:

tralatrala said...

You do know that PM's frown upon schedule padding. :)