Thursday, September 11, 2008

Orienation Day 2

Orientation, Day 2. I have two people staying in the hotel with me, and we drove in this morning together, after finding out that the road I planned to take, can't have left turns on weekdays. What is wrong with this city?

Today we spent the morning in the library, where we learned all about it's resources and available services. Oh fun... and then we spent the afternoon in "community time" doing life maps. I do this activity with my kids in confirmation, but it's been awhile since I've done it with an adult group.

We got through all 22 people in about 2 hours, and it was amazing to see what they bring to the table. Many of them have traveled and moved to many different cities, there are only a few like me who have only lived in one state. We had some common themes, mainly that we all had a life altering moment when we got tired of the current system, and started searching for a way to change it.

I know that I've always been called to this sort of work, but I could never being to put a name to it until I entered the work force. Even while in college, when I was leading workshops with ACUI themes, I knew that I was supposed to be doing this work.

For some reason what really stood out for me doing my life map was my high school experience. Based on the feedback I got, it seems that it was rare, in the amount of support I got. Because we were an all female environment, we were constantly told and pushed to learn and be the best at who we are. It was instilled in me that I'm going to be a powerful female, and I have life-changing work to do. It's now that I am finally ready to take on the role.

I went to dinner tonight with a friend who lives in Reston. We met in Bethesda and went to the Mongolian BBQ, which was delicious! I highly recommend it, if you have one in your area.

I'm relaxing tonight, getting ready for 3 more days of actual class. I'm not going to obsess about it, just relax and enjoy it!

No comments: