Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Fake, Nosey, and Petty

So, I had another meeting this morning with my problem client. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I have to put the next meeting on my calendar... BRB.

Anyway... WOW. I started by asking them to tell me what's working well within the team. They sat in silence, and some of them smirked. I quickly transitioned to what needs improvement - and when they were finished I had 3 flip-charts filled with stuff. I went back to what was working well, and their answer was that despite everything the patients get seen.

I knew I was in for a treat! I started working through the list of improvement with them, and it involves spending a lot of time defining terms so that everyone is on the same page. "Be Respectful" really doesn't tell someone how to act - as respect means a lot of different things, based on background/upbringing, etc. We talked about customer service, taking responsibility for tasks, and being accountable even when something doesn't work out in their favor.

The last piece, and 3 separate items on the list, was Fake, Nosey, and Petty. I grouped them together, asked for specifics, and then asked them what the work day would look like if Fake, Nosey, and Petty didn't show up.

It's pretty sad that I have to give a personal challenge to adults about twice my age, that if Fake, Nosey, and Petty show up to work for the rest of the week, they are to be sent home because there isn't a job for them in the office. Sigh.

No comments: