Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Tuesday Tuesday

Today is moving at a much slower pace then yesterday, as everything is now finished for the website. I contacted IS and asked them to start moving it to production, so we'll see what happens! My fingers are crossed!

I just ordered a bunch of books for the paper I'm writing. I decided to order them, because I don't have time to get to DC to use the library before my class, and it's always good to begin building my library.

I've been emailing back and forth with one of my professors re: my thesis statement. I never knew that so many assumptions could be drawn from a few sentences. Where she thought I was going wasn't where I was going at all. I wrote her back last night and explained my perspective and some context of what I was trying to explore, and came up with a different thesis statement. I keep going back to the directions that were given out in class, which says that the paper is supposed to be on the "history of OD". I think we are just supposed to pick a topic and research it, but we need some sort of thesis. When I spoke with my professor in class, her comment was "good lord, woman, you have an entire theory and experiment!" I have to keep reminding myself that this is just a 3-5 page paper.

I really liked the example thesis that was given on the directions, but I know I'm not allowed to use that one. I reformed it, and used a bunch of synonyms so hopefully it'll be able to pass muster.

After all of this long winded-ness, I'm just basically trying to determine if Appreciative Inquiry would work with my problem child client, considering the culture is so foul.

You would think it would be that straightforward, but they are very perceptive to judgements, so even categorizing anything as working in a "negative" way (no, I would not use the word "foul" in a thesis) causes alarm and I'm warned against making sweeping generalizations. Contrary, I have all of this data from the surveys, and focus groups that I conducted which support my sweeping generalization that it's a toxic environment!

My fingers are crossed that this thesis will work.

Bowling last night wasn't that great for me. I don't know if it's because we had a different set of seats, I sat on the wrong side, or that I wore long pants, but I couldn't get into my groove. We normally sit on the lower level, next to the lane, I sit across from Heather, and I wear shorts. Maybe there is something programed in me that helps my muscle memory. Then, 1/2 way through the 2nd game, I forgot how to do my approach. I couldn't get my feet right, so there were lots of laughs as I practiced walking. I was over thinking it, and paying attention to my steps and not to my mark, which was just making everything wonky! JEEBUS!

I'm going back to the gym tonight after my hiatus due to my back. I'll be rinding my bike into the happy place - I miss my exercise! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think we all need a practice day sometime this week.....please to wear your shorts and sit in your assigned seat....