Monday, March 22, 2010

Practicum 1 Weekend in DC

I don't think I've ever felt so clear about a project as my Practicum 1 weekend at graduate school this weekend in DC. The professor and the 5 PAs went over every detail step-by-step, which really helped me understand what is due, and when. Sometimes it got very redundant, but in the end it was worth it. I also got a lot of clarity about which client I should chose. My original plan was to work within my current work system, picking a division that I do not currently interact with, but I quickly nixed that idea after I realized that I would have to spend a lot of time manging the politics and my boss. I really don't need that added stress right now. I have enough going on at work, and I think it will benefit me to work outside of my current system.

So, my client is going to be my priest's new church in Fredrick. He wants to get the parishioners involved in the church decision making and much like any non-profit with volunteer members - figure out what they want most out of their membership. This lends itself to a pretty easy project that I could be passionate about. I will also stretch my learning because my client is a friend, and managing the boundaries of that relationship will be challenging so I do not get sucked into doing more work that what I contracted for - as a favor.

I also really like my PA - Renee. She's fun, open, and very flexible, and she is going to help me become a scholar. I seem to be one step ahead of the curve, and have internalized all of the theory of OD, so I can talk about it - I just can't attribute it to anyone in particular. Which is really a good thing, because I'll be acting on instinct instead of searching for answers. However, that doesn't come in handy when I have to quote theory in my paper. She gave me some recommendations on how to handle that, so I'm going to start making a matrix of theorists in layman's terms in order to help me remember it.... its not important in the real world - but I have to be able to quote theory from my head in order to take my 4 hour comprehensive exam in November to graduate. This will be good practice for me, and a good way to start studying. It is an academic program, not a practitioner program, so theory is important.

Then about a year later, I've decided I'm going to start my PhD program. But I'm not sure in what yet. I'm toying between OD and Human Development, and Clinical Psychology. The only issue I have with Clinical Psychology is that I do not want to do a clinical rotation - I just want the in depth knowledge into human nature in order to expand my OD practice... and I can always turn to therapy if my OD practice doesn't work. The other issue is that I have this habit of internalizing, so I'll start coming up with all of these mental disorders I may have and admit myself to a hospital because I'll think I'm going crazy. hehehehee :) (joke)

On another note - this weekend was one of great weather in DC! My boyfriend, John, had so much fun visiting the museums and we both loved the marble bathroom in the hotel. The stupid DC marathon ruined my Saturday morning commute, as it took me nearly 2 hours to go 6 miles. Lovely! I invented a few new curse words during that time. But I got there, and with our relaxed schedule this weekend, I had a lot of time to sit outside and enjoy the weather over lunch and during breaks.

I can't wait for next weekend - I'll be in NJ with John! :)

No comments: