Monday, December 14, 2009

Feeling Powerful!

A weekend with the cohort always leaves me feeling energized and ready to tackle life when I get back to reality. There is something about being with like-minded individuals all weekend that is so good for the soul. I can't wait until I get to spend over 10 days with them in Bermuda in Feb - its going to be awesome!

I feel like I am owning my power today. And it really has to do with dressing for success. I have one a cute knit black dress, black tights, and knee-high black suede boots with a red scarf. I feel in control, on top of things, and I'm making decisions left and right. I stepped up to the plate and I feel good.

I've been asking my body a new question every day, to try to stay out of my head, "What does my body need right now?" And it is amazing at the answers that I get.

I am also reading a new book about weight-loss. I am only on chapter 5 but it is delving into the concept of emotional obesity, which I think I am living with. We have already established that I do not eat a large diet, its actually limited in the amount of food I eat and incredibly varied in nutrition. I mostly eat healthy items. Yet my body loses some weight, and then I always get stuck. I feel healthy, I am medically healthy, yet my body carries the weight.

The book talks about how based on design, it will regulate your weight based on what you need and how safe you feel. If you are starving, you will retain weight, if you need to flee and are afraid, you body will shed weight. No matter how the diet changes and the amount of exercise done. Its just not about calories in or calories out. However, humans no longer have those same stressors, but our body reacts in the old way. There are programs set in the body to maintain weight, and if under stress of a certain kind, the program will turn on or off. I asked myself the key question, "Is it safe for me to be thin right now?" And my gut reaction was "no." That means I have some sort of subconscious message that I learned to make myself believe that the only way to be safe is to be fat. The fat is either a physical barrier to keep me from others, or I may be emotionally starving for something, which my body translates into a food shortage. When I asked myself, "Do I want to lose weight?" The answer is "yes." So even though my conscious wants it, its really my subconscious that controls the program. I need to change the program through my subconscious which involves changing my belief system through positive affirmations when I'm in a meditative state.

Pretty neat... huh? We'll see if it works! hehe :)

No comments: