Sunday, July 6, 2008

4th of July - Take 2!

So, I think today is the kind of 4th of July weather I should have enjoyed yesterday. It did rain slightly this morning before I got up, but that was it.

I actually got to sleep in this morning, which was a true novelty. I haven't had a chance to do that in a long while, and it felt good to stay in bed for awhile. After waking up, I headed to the gym before coming home to get ready for my cousin Karen's 5th birthday party. She's a princess, so of course, pink was everywhere! This year her mom had the party at a local park, which gave the kids plenty opportunity to run around and enjoy themselves. I also got to meet my newest cousin, Erin, who is only 4 1/2 month old. She's utterly adorable!

My neighbor told us about Havre de Grace's 4th of July celebration, which we wish we new about in previous years - it was a lot of fun, with 30mins of fireworks. They apparently celebrate the entire weekend, with a huge carnival! I haven't been to a carnival like this one since I was a child - they even had a merry-go-round and bumper cars! I didn't enjoy any rides, but it was wonderful sitting on the promenade around the river, waiting for fireworks. Nothing like feeling the cool breeze, snacking on some strawberry ice cream, and people watching. The only downfall was that we sat right under a light post, which we thought they'd turn off... no.. we had lots of gnats that wouldn't leave us a lone.

There were hundreds of boats on the river, including a 3 mask sailboat, and an old-time ferry boat. I think one could have taken a ride out on the ferry boat to watch the fireworks... which I will have to research for next year. But, overall, it was a lot of fun. Traffic was horrible on the way home, but that was to be expected.

I'm planning an outing with friends next Friday night to get crabs. That should be a lot of fun, as I haven't hung out with some of them in awhile. I like planning get togethers.

By the way... if the big huge house on Rumsey Island falls through, I'll take any of the old Victorians on Union St. in Havre de Grace - beautiful!

Karens5thandHavredeGrace

No comments: