Friday, July 11, 2008

they are on to me!

Yesterday morning we had a farewell breakfast for two of my coworkers who are leaving the department. Jordan, who is moving back to Savannah, and Thane who is just transitioning to another hospital in our system.

Well, as part of the breakfast, we each went around and said what we would miss most about them. Then my boss had Jordan and Thane share what they would miss most about each of us.

Thane ratted me out!

He started by saying that he firmly believes that each hour one should get up and walk... we always accused him of being bored and just coming to bother us. Our cubes are the farthest apart, and he said that he always liked to come down and talk to me. He said that no matter what he said, I always had a charming smile, and I would nod to encourage him to continue... he always headed back to his desk with a good feeling, but then he started thinking. She neither agreed, nor disagreed with what I said, and I have no idea what she was thinking the entire time! She could have been thinking that I'm an idiot, and I'd have no idea!

Everyone was laughing, and then Carol, my boss, picked up on it, with "Wait - she does that to me a lot too - now I know that she thinks I'm a complete idiot when I'm telling her things!" Which got a huge laugh from everyone...

So yes, now my secret is out... I'm non-committal in conversations, and even if I don't agree, I smile and nod to keep the conversation going. I don't give opinions unless directly asked, and just ask questions to help you figure out what you are trying to say. I'm listening intently, and can replay the conversation... but I'm not really committed to anything. Your issue is your issue, and it's not for me to form an opinion on... hehehe :)

It worked well yesterday when I was meeting with my client about their retreat in November. With no prompting from me, it turned into "Operation SIPP" - complete with SIPP Cups, a code name for the CEO and their VP is baking cookies... I smiled, nodded, and wrote down "cookies" "coconut" "cups" "color-coded straws" on my steno-pad... all the while thinking OH MY GOOD GOD! The CEO of my company is coming to this thing... but they were excited, were having ideas, and were fully committed - so as my customer service dictates, I'll be providing the kind of retreat they want. On the inside, I'm horrified, but on the outside - it's fab!

Just smile and nod... :)

No comments: