Thursday, July 24, 2008

Robitussin doesn't treat warts

Courage.

It's a smallish word that combats a lot of fear. I talk about this a lot, and the more I talk about it, the more I see it. It's like when you are thinking about buying a new car, and the new car you want to buy is all you see on the road.

I can't tell my clients enough that unless the direct problem is fixed, the same result will keep happening. I went for an hour long session yesterday and ended up being there a little over 2 and 1/2 hours. It's one doctor causing the entire problem, as his attitude is harming the attitude of the MAs that work with him, which in turn is affecting the other MAs, and the other doctors. He's been there for 9 years, his patient satisfaction survey results are incredibly high, yet he's a big baby.

If the result they want is harmony and a healthy work environment, then they need to accept that they may lose him over it. And yes, it'll be a monetary loss to the company, but they've decided that they can't continue to "live" like they are living in that work environment - so they need to hold themselves accountable for it.

I finally got them to see that he needs professional coaching, and that is something that we've been doing at two of our other facilities for doctors who have their jobs on the line. I had some insight from my director talking to the overall medical director of the hospital system. Apparently in medical school they are only taught the philosophy of one-way communication. "You are the expert, you know what the patient needs, you know what is the best solution, therefore you need to do it, and say it." This forms a mentality that no one can be correct except for them, and any outbursts of uncontrollable behavior if they are not getting their needs met, are acceptable.

It came to a point that they had to tell the physicians, at this site, that they were not allowed to tell the MAs when they were "wrong", or if something wasn't right in the office, because they couldn't do it in a "human" way. They had to contact the MAs manager, and have them give the feedback.

We'll see how this starts to go when I facilitate the team discussions for each station, my fingers are crossed. But I am prepared to excuse the physicians out in the hallway if they get out of hand, and give them a dressing-down in private about their behavior. I've seen enough episodes of "The Nanny" to be able to give a timeout and tell them their behavior is unacceptable. But I'm proud at how far they've come, and they seem to be finally ready to bounce back - rock bottom has been hit.

No comments: