Sunday, July 20, 2008

week 12 in the year of 29

Looking at the calendar today, it's about 12 weeks in my year of 29. I thought that I would take a moment to reflect on things that have changed, and how I'm doing with them.

The biggest change is that I got accepted to my graduate school program. I start on September 10 with Orientation, and I can't wait! I'm sure I'll be so bogged down with reading assignments for the classes, but right now in this moment I'm so badly wanting to start. There's just a genuine excitement contained within me about my career choice, and the fact that I am in this amazing program. I'm truly blessed, and am eternally grateful for this opportunity. I still keep in touch with my coach, Matt, and he and his family are doing well. He has his own coach now, which is helping him develop his own private business. I can only hope that I will be in his place one day.

I've stuck with my goal of working-out at least 4 times a week. No, I'm not having dramatic results like I did about 5 years ago when I did the Atkins diet; but I'm losing the weight the healthy way now. I've lost 12 lbs, but if I go by the scale at the gym, and the weigh-in I did first thing Saturday morning, it's really 15 lbs. I haven't went down a size, but my clothes fit me better now, and are actually loose in my hip/leg/bottom area. I'm bound and determined to up my mileage on the stationary bike, but averaging at about 21mph for 45mins isn't too shabby! I'm still taking flax seed oil supplements which give me a noticeable difference in my energy and weight loss.

My "would have been" 2 year anniversary with my ex was last week, and I missed it. I had blogged a while back that I was probably going to be upset since it's a "dark blue pill" week and that's my most hormonal emotional time - but it didn't really even effect me. That sounds callous, which is not my intention, but I think I just finally moved on to a point where those thoughts are no longer in the foremost of my mind. I've really just let it all go... I didn't even feel emotional that week, which I guess means that it's not the blue pills that were making me react that way, I was just emotionally upset before. I'm not anymore. :)

I set-up a drama-free perimeter that I'm sticking too. I'm so empathetic by nature, that it's easy for me to get sucked into the drama of other people because I want to help. I'll coach and give guidance when needed, but I won't take on any one's problems or issues anymore, or feel the need to save them from themselves. That is their mistake to make, if it indeed turns out that way.

I've met some really neat people on okcupid. We have tentative plans to meet-up when I start going to DC regularly, which I think is adding to my excitement of starting my program! Maybe they'll show me things I've never seen before, or experience things I've never known.

I've reconnected with a friend, and I'm hopefully going to go see him and his new apartment in New Orleans in a few months. I had some hurt feelings from a few years ago, that have allowed me to put a "break" on our relationship.. but I miss him. We used to talk weekly on the phone, geez.. we did that for over 4-5 years. He met someone a few years back, which surprised and hurt my heart, and then I met someone... and we were cordial, but not as close as we once were. But things have changed, and my intentions are pure: to start our friendship back again.

I took up a sport - I guess bowling is a sport? And I'm having fun. But I can't help but have fun with Ryan and Heather, with our ritual grilled cheese sandwiches and the quest for a "Turkey Club" membership. I will get into that club... it may be the very last game, on the last frame of the season - but I will get it!

I'm also thinking about taking up golf. My coworker plays, and wants someone to play with, and Ryan has also been urging me for years to start, on and off. I'm undecided, but will likely take the plunge. You know, I'm not like my father in anyway... except for the 2 sports he plays - golf and bowling. It's interesting how life turns out that way.

So, I think, overall, these 12 weeks have been working out pretty well! :)

Here's to changes and living in the moment!

No comments: