Wednesday, July 16, 2008

sixdegrees.com

I'm sitting at my desk this afternoon and I had a flash back to my college days of sitting in the computer lab on campus. I recalled my favorite website to visit, which was SixDegrees.com.

Does anyone remember this? It was actually before the time of facebook and myspace, and it was based on the concept of six degrees of separation. I was a proud member, and would post trivia for my network every day on my bulletin board.

The cool feature that I don't see in facebook or myspace, is that you could see how you were connected to any member of the website. I could randomly search Baltimore, pick a person, and watch it form a "web" back to me of friends connected to friends. I could also communicate with my 2nd and 3rd degree level connections. So I could send a message to the people directly "hooked" to me, plus the people they were "hooked" to, and the people "hooked" to them.

The weblink still exists, but there isn't any content there. And unfortunately, it only was a live site during my college years, 1997-2001, before it was sold.

No comments: