Sunday, April 13, 2008

Blind Promises...

... is the name of the last romance novel that I read by Diana Palmer. Most people know that I'm an avid reader, but they have no idea that I have an addiction to romance novels, and can read through 3-4 in a given weekend. I wish the bookstore had a rent-to-buy option, as I normally read them in about 2 hours, and then I'm left with a perfectly pristine book clogging my living space. Yes, I've heard of this wonderful thing called a "Library", but my only issue with that is that they don't have enough copies of the new books, so I have to go through the hassle of ordering them, and waiting. I'm an instant gratification reader, if the book is out, I want it. Then I'm normally pissed because it's over so quickly.

I see the ironic nature of romance novels, yet I can't stop reading them. They are actually formulaic in the sense that every one of them pretty much reads the same way; especially each author's book. With Diana Palmer there is normally an extra sense of drama. Man meets woman, there is a instant dislike - yet a sexual tension between the couple. Some sort of tragic event occurs, which makes the man think that he isn't right for the woman, and he breaks her heart. And... then like every good romance, true love prevails, he realizes his mistake, and they are on their way to happily ever after.

Now, I'm wise enough to know what "fiction" means, but like all things fiction, there is usually a moment of truth, or a bit of reality that instigated the written idea. My relationships with men have always been very unorthodox. I've "dated" a number of guys, but only had a handful of relationships that were more then 2 dates. The females in my family have a poor history of relationships, and I don't use them as examples of the type of relationship I want. Actually, the idea of having any of their relationships makes me shudder in horror. There never seems to be a balance in the couple, and one always seems to hold something over the other's head. Whether it be money, or looks, speaking ability, education, etc...

Since I'm not privy to the intimate details of the relationships of those around me, I often wonder how close to real life a relationship in a romance novel is. No, I'm not busting out of my top, and waiting for a man on a white horse to save me from certain demise - that would just be stupid. But is the "in to her" or "in to him" factor over dramatized in a romance novel? Are they written as the ideal to fulfill a fantasy of what someone wants their relationship to be like, or is it based on truth?

I don't question the flowery language, as that is part of the romance novel deal.. but things like, "my heart sped up when I saw her," "her sent was intoxicating," "I could have held her all night, and it was worth my arm falling asleep," "I like waking up in the middle of the night and watching you sleep," "we were in public at a family dinner, but it tested all of my self control to keep my hands off of her," - do those things happen? Is that what I should be looking for, or is that just a romance novel?

A friend used to drive a point home with me all the time when I'd tell him about my dates not necessarily meeting my expectations... "he's a man, what do you expect?" And, there is a lot of truth in that question. Men are very different than woman. But just how different is something that I need to determine...

1 comment:

tralatrala said...

Hey! A friend of mine belongs to a book rental thing. It's much like netflix but for books. I'll find out the info and pass it along...ok back to your entry.