Thursday, April 17, 2008

Pope Patrol - 1995 Style

I made it home this afternoon to catch the replay of the Papal visit to DC and the Mass on EWTN. I'm struck with memories from the time that John Paul II visited Baltimore in 1995. I remember that visit like it was yesterday, as I was chosen to be part of what we called the "Pope Patrol".

I went to Catholic School for 12 years, and it is always easier I think to practice your faith when you were surrounded by like-minded people. But I was always overjoyed and startled when I would attend Catholic functions for youth and see the magnitude of young Catholics.

As part of the preparation for JP2's 1995 visit, Cardinal Keeler's team approached all of the high schools to ask for student volunteers to work the press conferences. JP2 firmly believed that the youth were the future of the church, and Cardinal tried on every effort to make this a youthful event. I was one of the lucky few that got chosen to undertake this role. The Cardinal's office would contact the school a week ahead of time, and we would be called out of school for the day to participate.

For some reason, my good friend Rin and I were selected every time to hold the posters and maps during the press conference. I was on tv and in the news more times than I ever thought I'd be. We got to meet many bishops, and many clergy as we were preparing for the conferences... I even got to sit in the dugout at Camden Yards. Back when the O's were actually good! hehe :)

The archdiocese also asked for a Youth Brigade to act as Ambassadors to the city in light of the Pope's visit. My youth minister got us involved, and we spent the entire weekend downtown prepping for this event. The idea was that on the morning of the Mass we were to be on various corners in the city, welcoming everyone to Baltimore and to the Mass. Then we were to line the parade route for after Mass to walk with the Pope in the streets. He was the first to leave in his Pope Mobile after Mass, and he drove down the line of us - so happy that we came that day, as we prepared to walk the route with him.

The night before, because we were not able to attend the Mass in the stadium, they had a Mass for us in the Baltimore Convention Center. There were 3,000 13-18 year old Catholics worshiping and singing together and celebrating the Mass. It was unreal! Then we got to celebrate our hard work by going to a concert at Pier 6 with Boys to Men.

I look at this Pope, and I see someone very different than JP2, and I'm sad that do to the state of the world, he is not able to meet the people for security reasons. Hopefully he'll bring about change just like JP2!

No comments: