Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Work Drama-Llama!

My Director just came out of her office and sat underneath my co-worker's desk in her cube. I heard a voice saying, "I'm not coming out, I'm just going to stay here all day," and rolled around the corner to investigate.

There she was, my co-worker moved to the side in her chair, and my director sitting under her desk. Thinking quickly, I offered to call someone - her boyfriend, her son, 911 - but she stated she was fine. I offered her chocolate, alcohol, a hammer... nothing seemed to work.

See, we have been trying to hire a replacement for our Training Coordinator, which is essentially an Administrative Assistant role. The problem we have with this role is that no one who wants it, wants to stay an AA. I started in the role 5 years ago and look at me now! Then we hired Kim, who had the intention of becoming a trainer which wasn't happening, so now she just took a job back in her roots of managing two patient offices.

We contacted a Temp agency, but that lady only stayed one day. When she went in the office to tell my director all about the plastic surgery done on the penis of her 4 year old son, we knew it was going to be over before it began! And that was just on the first day!

My director had a great interview this morning with someone who appeared to be very professional and poised, and could handle the work. This is after already interviewing 3 others who practically zapped the energy from her as they stated they were a "people person". She even wanted to stay an AA and did not want to expand her role. Then my director called her references, one of which she happened to know personally, and it all went down hill from there. He wouldn't recommend her to his enemy.

Thus what led to the dive under my co-worker's desk. She finally came out after about 15 minutes... but I was a little nervous there for awhile.

Although, I've wanted a bean-bag chair in my cube to work from for awhile... so maybe now that she's seen the opportunities there are from working under the desk, she'll let me have one!

No comments: