Thursday, June 26, 2008

to walk away...

What a day that I have had! We had two interviews with perspective coworkers, each about 2 hours, including a 20 minute presentation from them. I had to squeeze between them a facilitation session with my problem children.

My director keeps telling me that they are the ideal client because I will be exposed to so much with my grad school program. I think they are a case study within themselves that I'm going to eventually sell to a magazine. I'm too young to say this is a career making project, but I think it's going to be.

People complain about their work environment daily, but I have never witnessed an environment were coworkers to the physicians were treated like they were either invisible, nameless, and not deserving of basic manners. To physically bump someone out of your way that is working behind a nursing station without saying "excuse me" or explaining your need to take over their computer - makes me sick. Especially when they can walk 2 feet to their offices and do their computer work there.

I can literally call HIPAA right now, and pull them up on so many patient confidentiality violations that they'd shut them down instantly. Physicians are not documenting, or using the wrong codes to document patient procedures, and patients are getting double billed by medicare, which is refusing to pay. One physician writes the prognosis/treatment on a sticky-note, and puts them on doors. They all share the patient prognosis out loud in the hallway, instead of behind closed doors.

There's just a general lack of communication and respect. No one talks to anyone else, and it's an endless cycle of victimization spiraling out of control - and I got all of that out of a 1 hour lunch meeting.

The president of my client company came in to see how it went. He needs a coach on courage. His fears of confronting the physicians or holding them accountable and them in turn leaving, paralyze him. The ironic thing is that he is a physician and sees patients in that office. I did some probing and got him to agree to have a discussion with the Medical Director about having a joint meeting with the physicians. I had to come into that one through the back door, and make him think it was his own suggestion, but he finally made a commitment.

My hands are completely tied, because I can work with the Medical Assistants all they want, but until their leadership holds the physicians accountable for their behavior, nothing will work. As I told the president of their company, it's pretty bad when the patients notice the behavior and make comments. Especially when they ask what sort of mood the physician is in, because if it's a bad one, they want to change their appointment.

They mentally drain me.

I have never been happier to leave all of this and go on vacation. It's only a weekend, but when Ryan picks me up at 9am tomorrow morning, I'm going to be in heaven. I have no expectation except to have gobs of fun and relax. Thank God for small favors!

No comments: