Monday, June 30, 2008

Paschimottanasana

When does the mind process it's own limitations and choose it's selection process based on the new understanding?

Basically, when does the sense of reality set in, and people can truly see the path they need to take, and how their current path isn't working for them?

Does it take an event, a conversation, or does enlightenment happen haphazardly?

When does "maturity" happen?

I often wonder these things when I reflect on the idea that people have a general idea of a "type" that attracts them. I only like people who...... (fill in the blank here). And it's odd, as they seem to find themselves in the same situation over and over again, yet wonder why things keep ending up like they do. I heard somewhere that the true sign of a crazy person is one who continues to complete the same process over and over again, expecting a different result. I guess they are hoping that luck springs upon them, and they will eventually hit gold.

I have a friend who is in this situation and they seem happy. But sometimes I think an outsider can see something more than what they see. This person they are involved with is fulfilling an emotional need in them (other than love), but I'm not sure if the person they are seeing is getting their needs met. I would never interfere, but I question what happens when the other person finally "comes into their own" - because they then essentially fall out of that person's type.

Needs are sticky items to get involved with. There only basic things that people need: food, shelter, air, and water. It's when people make a "want" their "need" that problems arise.

So, when does it happen, when does maturity happen? And why does it seem that others have it more than some...

1 comment:

tralatrala said...

"Needs are sticky items to get involved with. There only basic things that people need: food, shelter, air, and water. It's when people make a "want" their "need" that problems arise."

I'm probably seeing this in a different light since I don't know what you're talking about specifically, but it's funny, I think one of the first signs of maturity is understanding this concept. Knowing that those things that one claims to "need" is really just a strong desire. It's a hard thing to come to grips with and something I personally struggle with often. I want more responsibility at work, but that translates to thinking I NEED it. I want a bigger house, and my desire makes me think I NEED it. If I never put myself in check I would be miserable ALL OF THE TIME.

I've tried explaining this concept to the more pessimistic personality types that I know, and it never quite sinks in because saying you "need" something has such a stronger connotation and makes you able to seem so much more desperate and sad. But sometimes it's worth just taking a step back and realizing that stuff isn't that bad!