Tuesday, October 28, 2008

insulted motivation

Last night I was on okcupid reading public journals, and I stumbled upon a post made by a young male in the army which really pissed me off, but I didn't comment on it at the time.

After a 4 paragraph bunch of nonsense, he finally stumbled on to his thesis: if you are obese, you are unmotivated, undedicated, and unhealthy - all the things that are bad about a person. Then he goes on to ask the question, "who wants to date an unmotivated, undedicated, unhealthy person?" At that point he went on to how important it is to be attractive to other people, and it's our duty to our partner to constantly maintain a state of attraction.

Talk about jumping right to the top of his Ladder of Inference. I get the general gist of his argument, but to be lumped into those three things seemed to be unfair. I don't think anyone would ever use the words "unmotivated, undedicated, and unhealthy" to describe me, and I'm obese. I'm sorry, but part of my job doesn't require me to run 5 miles in full combat gear every morning. Because I am so motivated and dedicated to achieve my goals, I don't always have time to focus on the weight loss one. I do try to get to the gym 3-4 times a week, and when I'm there I'm there pushing myself. And, according to my doctor (knock on wood) I am healthy!

Some people just don't get it....

No comments: