Thursday, October 9, 2008

second weekend

The second weekend of my first class starts tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to heading away for the weekend for it! It's nice to just enjoy the quiet of a hotel room in a busy city and people watch. I almost wish that there was more free time built into the schedule, as it would be nice to find a shady spot and just take it all in sometimes.... especially before the weather gets too cold to really enjoy the outside!

Speaking of the class, I have to print out my 2 papers today, and also print my journal. I'll be printing out my blog, as that is the only journal I use. I added a view counter to the bottom of the page, just to track what kind of hits I'm getting. Apparently I have a few regulars (I don't know the information or who, just that the visitor was a repeat) and a lot of people visit for the first time. I think they either cruise in from the blogger website or link in from my dating profile on okcupid. It's nice to have readers :) I removed the link from the facebook page because I now have coworkers linked as friends, and some things I would rather not share at work. And, considering that they won't stop talking about facebook at work, I made a good decision.

I'm hoping this weekend will go much more smoothly than last class. Hopefully they will keep in mind what we need as students (structure) and be able to give that to us. I'm not a 'J' in my MBTI, but I can be when it comes to goals/accomplishments and getting a grade on something.

On another topic... I facilitated the Active Listening class today for the first time. My coworker (even though she's in GA, she's still my coworker!), Jordan, wrote a kick-ass course, so it was great presenting it today. One thing that struck me about the learning, is that people aren't proactive about determining what their role is in the conversation, before it starts... and doing that small thing really helps you to focus. I'm going to follow that advice, and start asking, "So I can be helpful, would you like me to just listen, give advice, or problem solve with you during the conversation?" It's about ownership people, take ownership! hehe

No comments: