Tuesday, October 14, 2008

more to ponder

I moved my seat back down into a lower position today. For me, changing my physical location seems to change my perception. Actually, the seat was moved up when I hurt my back, and now that I'm better, I moved it back down to a more comfortable location.

So, what did I learn today. Well, I almost had a fit when I saw my new syllabus for my next class. More reading than before, and 3 papers - 1 with a presentation if I want an A. She is also so creative as to call that paper "The A Paper". She breaks the class into two categories, and describes what is needed for that grade level, and I'm assuming in a bit of wit, she came up with that name. It's something that I would do, but then again, in my experience you have to be careful with PhD and MD types... they like to be arrogant. This class is about dealing with personality in relationships, and more human interaction information, which I'm really looking forward to learning about.

My intern and I met with our client, and had a very frustrating time of it. We are asking to deliver something that she has no idea what the deliverables are to do. It's like being hired to teach something, and that's all you know - you're here to teach "something". You have no idea what the content is. And when you ask, you get very vague answers that don't connect to each other in any way. I had to get directive with her, and start hammering a structure, otherwise she'd be wasting our time. Especially since this is a huge system-wide initiative, which is going to be highly visible - I had to protect both of our asses. I'm not in the business to set my intern up to fail... what kind of leader would that make me?

I did the weigh-in today, and I'm still the same weight from 2 weeks ago - WOO HOOOO! That's good, as I really haven't had the time to go to the gym, with all of my nightly activities. I wanted to go sometime this weekend, as the hotel normally has a workout room, but I never got the opportunity. My jeans were falling off of me at bowling, so I had to do the "pull-up" dance before my approach down the alley... kinda amusing. We didn't win, again, but I think its a combo of a few things (if you've been reading my blog for awhile, you will notice that I have all of these theories, none of which include that I just suck at bowling... hehe!)- but anyway... 2 theories: 1 - we've been talking about a lot of serious stuff during our table time... which has to do with the nature of the table - it's much smaller, which can create an environment for intimate conversation, which distracts us when we go up to bowl, and 2 - our night changed to a Monday, and Monday's are just tiring days. We used to bowl on a Tuesday, which for some reason may have given us more energy.

During our bowling conversation we talked about a confusion I've been having, and last night I was able to get some clarity. I feel much better about the situation now; I like when roles are defined.

My first paper for the new class has to be on a life altering moment when you learned something about your personality.... having roles defined and knowing exactly what is expected (both professionally and in relationships) is huge for me. Now I just need to track back to where that all started, and write 6 pages on it... almost do a self-diagnosis. More to ponder....

No comments: