Monday, August 3, 2009

Family time

On Saturday, about 10 0f us from Baltimore traveled to New Jersey for a family reunion with the New Jersey family. It was great fun! The family in New Jersey is my grandmother's brother's family. He left Baltimore when he married a woman from Philly, and they lived in South Philly, raising both of their children there. My great-aunt Josie still lives in the same house after 55 years, with her children moving to New Jersey.

We went to my cousin Rosemarie's for the reunion, which is in an adorable 'burb of New Jersey off of Black Horse Pike. Her grandchildren are adorable, and I found a kinship with my little cousin Joey (age 7) who loves the show "So you think you can dance?" We had some great conversations on who we think is going to win! hehe

It was great to see everyone again, and my cousin Denise is especially inspirational. She and I have a lot in common, both physically and mentally. She just graduated with her PhD in advanced math and works in the school system as an instructional coach. She's battled her weight for years, and has been single for just as long. She adopted Julie from China about 5 years ago when she was 35, which is where I originally got the idea that I can do that too if I felt the time was right. She and I talked about traveling, as she loves vacation just as much as I do, so we are going to start planning some trips!

My cousin-in-law Tina is a sweetheart, as a stay at home mom with 3 kids. She was telling me about her life, and how she wanted to travel for work and take some jobs out west... but she got married instead. She wouldn't give up her life, but I can tell there is a wistfulness that is still within her. Her husband, my cousin Mike, was a really good musician, but he gave that up to support his family. He still sings at family events, and he has a beautiful voice. This is why it is so important for me to do everything I want to do... I don't want regrets!

On Sunday I traveled to NOVA to have a great lunch with my friend and classmate Stephanie! We had a super time at a new Indian restaurant before indulging in our favorite pastime - shopping for yarn! Yes, I bought more yarn. I know I have so much at the house, but I couldn't resist. It was so good to connect with her, and her adorable cat is so sweet.

Overall it was an awesome weekend! Here are the pictures from the family event:

Family Reunion Aug 2009

No comments: