Wednesday, May 21, 2008

bowling, bluegrass, and volunteer work!

"I told you, I was trouble..." I love Amy Winehouse, the poor misguided soul - but boy can she sing!

Anyway, last night was week 2 of bowling, and I'm happy to report that I did much better than last week. I'm embarrassed to share my average from last week, as it's under 100, but I can proudly say that I wasn't in last place. However, my team finished second overall - go team! Hopefully my average will increase with this week's scores, and I'll be proud to post it next week.

Ryan and I were trying to figure out how we can win in the end without ever having the highest scores... I'm not sure if that would ever work, because math was never our strong subject, but the odds don't look to be in our favor. We were a little unsettled as the team we were playing was missing 3 players, so 3 "vacancies" were on the board - which means an average of the other 2 players was created for them. The invisible people had at least a spare every frame - which isn't very realistic. Maybe I should become invisible next week in order to increase my average.... hmmm...

But - I did take pictures of my kickass bowling shoes, and will be posting them later!

This weekend is the first annual Middle River Bluegrass Festival/Carnival at Our Lady Queen of Peace, my church. Members of my family and I put our name on the volunteer form, and I got signaled out. Apparently the volunteer coordinator is pregnant and can't work the entire time, so a lovely checkmark appeared next to my name as a replacement. I'll be working from 4:30-11:30pm on Saturday and pretty much open to close on Sunday at the festival. Fortunately I'm just responsible for the volunteers, and will not be making fried dough like some of my family.

I'm not a huge bluegrass fan, and Ryan already stated he can't go because he didn't marry his sister (hehehehe), but I think it should be an interesting event! There are 6-7 bands, and the Rob Byer Band actually won the contest to open for Kenny Chesney when he was in town a few weekends ago. It's very reasonable too, $5 for adults for the entire day, and $15 for a family.

Hopefully we'll have a huge turnout, and this will become an annual event. I'm concerned with the marketing that's been happening, as I haven't seen it anywhere but at my church. Apparently there were 2000 postcards that went out to certain zipcodes. They need lots of signs and flyers everywhere!

I'm praying for great weather!

No comments: