Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Mark Twain...

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way." - Mark Twain

I'm at work this morning, and my coworker is looking for quotes for our course catalog, and she stumbled upon that one - and it got a lot of giggles from me. That is one way to learn a whole bunch of stuff!

But I think that quote relates well to life... you have to reach out and grab it, try new things, or you are going to stagnate exactly where you are.

I think the person I was a few years back is very different than the person I am now. Actually, I was thinking about this in the light of relationships the last few days. I think the best thing that happened in my past relationships was a good friend told me that he wasn't the man for me. And in hindsight, at that moment in time, he was right. I was shocked and pissed, but he was right. I am a late bloomer, and at that time I was very naive, and had no idea how relationships worked. So, I went out and learned...

I went on a hell of a lot of dates, got involved with a few different men, and grew up. And yes, I was hurt along the way, but each scar just made me stronger and more able to handle situations.

My recent relationship with my ex taught me a lot too. I fully understand the person I can be, and who and what I want for myself. That's a tough thing to do, to take a strong look at your soul in the mirror and figure it out.

Now I have it in my head that I'm ready for what was once offered to me, which I didn't know how to handle then. But I'm pretty sure the offer is no longer on the table... but what a hot adventure it would have been!

And for once, reality would have overshadowed fantasy.

No comments: