Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Problem with life...

I was watching my favorite show last night, "Dancing with the Stars" when a commercial came on for the home makeover show. The host was talking to the homeowners and made the comment, "The problem with life is that everything is so unexpected."

That statement caught my attention, and like most things, I disagree. To me, the unexpected is the joy in life, because you get to use the resources and bonds you have formed with people to get through it.

No, I'm not advocating horrible things to happen, but I think the unexpected is a chance to show ourselves what we really are made of. It's the opportunity to use the skills we've learned and to tap in our network of family and friends who are there to support us. Those unexpected moments are when we really learn who we are, and who the people around us are. And, if they are worth fighting for.

It's funny, I've always been blessed with seeing both sides of the situation. I know I have driven many a friend crazy with that ability, even my coach. During our last session together he asked me a question and I gave him a simple, "no". There were silence on his end, and then he said, "wow - you've never given such a simple answer before, I was expecting a "well..."" I had to laugh, because I know that he was right.

But, I think that ability is what helps me not judge or immediately find the negative in the situation. An old interest of mine, the same one I was having and still having the hots for yesterday, and I used to bicker a lot. He would make very definitive statements about things, which now I think he did just to make me crazy, and I took great pleasure in trying to sway him off of his platform and onto mine. It never really worked, but I still went down with a fight trying to explain that there could be other sides that he didn't consider.

In essence, I think that's the key to life, and how to become so well adjusted with everything that happens during it. Don't assume the worst in people, even though the news tells you differently, and try to see things from their point of view. Be creative, as there is always going to be someone outside of the norm.

No comments: