Saturday, May 17, 2008

what's missing...

The facilitation on Friday to the leadership team went really well. I kept it short and sweet, but I still don't think they truly get the concept. I was okay with the idea of discussing corrective action after my piece on coaching and feedback, but after the presentation of it, I wanted to just fall on the floor. All of my hard work just went down the drain with all the rain water. They are really quick to jump to writing people up, without working on the behavior that they are seeing. It seems that they are more interested in protecting their assess then treating their employees with value.

I also nearly came out of my chair when their leader-leader-leader missed the presentation on chapter 5 of "Good to Great" and wanted to know if they discussed what their group does well. I explained that the two mangers leading that section put a personal twist on the subject to ask what each person was passionate about and how they can use that passion to make a better leadership team. He said that it was already clear to him that they would never have the greatest doctors, or the best practices. To which I replied that is the precise reason they need to find something they are good at, such as customer service. I nearly hauled off and decked him when he started laughing and said, "These people? You have to be joking; the people who work for this company will never give exceptional service." Then they wonder, yet again, why they have problems...

Anyway... on to happier things. My coworker came in with her baby on Friday! Yay! I hurried back from the corporate office to spend a few minutes with baby Jackson. He's so precious, and his momma is in dire need of some margaritas! My other coworker and I are going to deliver on that promise and take Jordan out for some much needed girl time. I'm almost finished his blanket as well, I just need to knit the bunny head and it will be complete!

Last night was my cousin-in-law Wayne's surprise party. And he was truly surprised! It was great fun out on the deck, with some heaters to keep us warm. Wayne's nephew was on leave from the service and in town, and he's matured into a wonderfully sweet and oh-so-hot young man... unfortunately he's too young for me. So sad... but he was fun to talk to, and I wish him the best of luck for his return to Georgia. I had a few strawberry mojitos which managed to keep me warm through the evening - very yummy!

I spent today at my cousin Ben's 3rd birthday. I was mistaken and thought he was going to be 4, but he's only 3. SO CUTE! He's really into Thomas the Tank and has lots of new toys to play with. Mom and I also got him Cootie, which was my favorite game when I was around his age. He's such a friendly, sweet little boy, with the cutest grin. He's going to be a lady-killer one day!

But... even though my weekends are full, my lips are starting to have withdrawal. Some kissing time, and an old-fashioned make-out session on the couch is just what the doctor ordered... now to find a willing male to participate... send him my way, I'm accepting applications!

No comments: