Monday, May 12, 2008

We'll always have Paris...

As I sit in my cube on this rainy Monday morning, I'm pondering the age old question: Is reality better than fantasy?

Can I imagine something in my head that will be better than what actually can or would happen? And, even better, are my fantasies unrealistic?

There's a hard line between true fantasy and reality. For instance, science fiction, although some sci-fi fanatics would argue that their truth is reality. But, then, are they really in touch with the world around them, or are they living on another planet?

I take, for instance, the idea of seeing someone on the street that intrigues me. It can be their looks, or that they are wearing a conversation piece that is very striking. In my head, I can imagine my interactions with them, and clearly write out what I would like to happen. But, would it ever happen that way?

I could play out my role as I imagined it, but that doesn't mean they would respond as I anticipate they would. Now, if I was a manipulative person, I could probably get them to respond in a fashion to what is close to what I was imagining, but I'm not.

But, that's not what I'm pondering. An interest and I built a world of fantasy a few years back. It was mutually created, so it wasn't as if I was controlling the ideas in my own head. And, I've been wondering for years if reality would ever be as good as what we created. Could we become those two people while we were together, or would our own realities interfere? My responses were always genuine, but they were written within the code of the fantasy. Can I let go, and become that person? Can he let go, and become that person?

Is that the fear? Is that why there's a wall? So that the fantasy is never spoiled. ... We'll always have Paris.

But then I think, why not make the fantasy a reality? Why not reach out and take the chance to find something that maybe our heart's deepest desire. Are we only harming ourselves for not reaching for our dreams? Or, are we better off where we are?

Heavy thoughts for a Monday morning...

No comments: